Multiple casualties reported after explosion at building that neighbours say was slated for demolition.
An explosion rocked the port city of Ningbo in eastern China’s Zhejiang province early Sunday, leaving multiple casualties and causing nearby buildings to collapse.
The explosion, which occurred at about 8.50am on Sunday, shattered windows up to a kilometre from the blast site.
The cause of the explosion was unknown.
Zhejiang Daily reported on its website that the explosion was serious and quoted onsite witnesses as saying there had been deaths and injuries.
The only official announcement about incident so far, from the police bureau in the Jiangbei district of the city, did not specify whether there had been any deaths. It only said that there had been multiple casualties.
According to video and pictures from the explosion site published on the local news portal run by the Ningbo government, plumes of white smoke was visible from afar. Many nearby buildings saw their roofs collapse and had their windows shattered.
There was no detailed report on the numbers killed or injured by noon.
The owner of Dazhong Restaurant at West Lijia Road, identifying himself only by his surname Feng, said his restaurant was 1km south to the explosion site and his glass windows broke when the explosion occurred. He said the blast took place inside a … (read more)