Elsa Keslassy reports: An anti-drone system, restricted airspace above the Cannes airport and upgraded firearms for police are part of the tightened security protocol that will be enforced throughout the Cannes Film Festival, which kicks off Wednesday.
Local authorities in Cannes unveiled their measures Tuesday as festival attendees began streaming in to the seaside city. The beefed-up security plan includes an anti-drone system that was previously used in Paris, which has suffered a number of devastating terror attacks in the last two years. Local police in Cannes are also now carrying new 9mm semi-automatic handguns with 17 rounds apiece.
“You have a higher risk level from terrorism in France. There have been three attacks in the last year and a half in public locations,” said Jeffrey A. Slotnick, risk consultant. “Any time you have a lot of notables, whether it’s actors or political dignitaries, there’s an elevated risk. They bring all the risks and threats directed at them along with them, so you have a compounded threat.”
Authorities said that none of the expected celebrities have asked for special security measures.
At the Majestic Hotel, a popular watering hole for high-profile guests, a spokesperson said that major Hollywood stars almost always come with their own private security details. If not, the Majestic provides personalized security. The hotel has also deployed plainclothes security personnel inside and around the site.
Other initiatives include imposing a no-fly zone for unauthorized aircraft above the small Cannes airport and the nearby Hotel du Cap. Last year, guests at the luxurious hotel just outside Cannes were terrified by the unexpected arrival of a group of men in military gear who turned out to be part of a publicity stunt … (read more)
via Page Six