The massacre committed by Japanese troops in Nanjing, which was the Chinese capital at the time, remains a source of friction between Tokyo and Beijing.
BEIJING — China warned Japan on Friday against misleading its future generations with a “wrong view of history” after officials in Tokyo finished authorizing textbooks to be used in the 2018 school year.
Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying criticized Japanese government officials for trying to downplay or modify the number of Chinese victims in the 1937 Nanjing Massacre.
Hua made the comments during a press briefing when asked about what China thinks of Japanese high school textbooks, to be used from April 2018, that continue to say that there is not yet a commonly accepted view of the number.
She said the world already has solid evidence on the massacre and urged Japan to be more responsible in providing a “correct” picture of its wartime history to students, for the better future of their relations with China and other Asian countries.
The massacre committed by Japanese troops in Nanjing, which was the Chinese capital at the time, remains a source of friction between Tokyo and Beijing. … (read more)
via Japan Today
Nanking Massacre textbooks rolled out in Jiangsu primary schools.
Gruesome details are edited out, but schoolchildren will be taught the history through 10 narratives.
Li Jing reports: Grade Five students in Jiangsu province became the first on the mainland to receive official textbooks detailing the Nanking Massacre – a painful chapter of history that has been a sticking point between China and Japan.
The 55-page textbook comprises 10 stories about the Japanese military’s invasion of the former Chinese capital, which today uses the post-war pinyin spelling Nanjing, on December 13, 1937, marking the start of a six-week spree of destruction, rape and killings.
China says about 300,000 Chinese civilians and soldiers were killed during that period. Some foreign academics put the death count lower, including China historian Jonathan Spence, who estimates that 42,000 soldiers and citizens were killed and 20,000 women raped, many of whom later died.
While the subject has been taught in schools before, this is the first time authorities have released a textbook specially dedicated to the incident.
But for the children, photos and language deemed too gruesome were taken out, according to Zhu Chengshan, curator of the memorial museum.
Released in time for the start of the new semester on Monday, the textbook was compiled by the education bureau and experts at the memorial museum for massacre victims in Nanjing, Jiangsu’s capital city, according to news website thepaper.cn.
The release comes as China’s top leaders are set to attend a ceremony in Beijing on Wednesday morning to commemorate the 69th anniversary of the country’s victory in the anti-Japanese War, or the second Sino-Japanese war that ended in 1945.
Earlier this year, the national legislature officially designated September 3 as the day of victory.
Zhu told the news website that he brought up the idea of compiling a textbook for students after the country’s legislature in February designated December 13 as the day of remembrance for Nanking Massacre victims.
He also suggested Chinese primary school students, like counterparts in nations that have experienced war atrocities, should learn about this kind of history at an early stage.
”I’m inspired by Auschwitz [in Poland] and Israel. Their pupils above Grade Three all have reading materials or textbooks about massacres. And all the teachers are well-trained about the history. More than 80 per cent of students know the history very well,” he was quoted as saying.
”Our country is far behind in such public education,” Zhu said. … (read more)
Source: South China Morning Post