During flight, the ALHAT HDS scanned the Hazard Field and correctly identified a primary safe landing target within 0.5 m of the landing pad center, the best HDS safe site selection to date. As ALHAT navigated Bravo toward the selected landing target, the vehicle position calculated by ALHAT diverged from the “true” position calculated by Morpheus Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC) until the error reached a trajectory corridor limit, at which point Bravo automatically reverted to Morpheus navigation for the remainder of the descent to the ALHAT landing target.
Thus, FF13 successfully demonstrated ALHAT HDS performance and landing site selection (as in FF12), as well as the first in-flight down-mode from ALHAT to Morpheus navigation, but not yet complete ALHAT navigation to the landing site.
- Morpheus Uses Hazard Detection System to Land in the Dark (spaceref.com)
- This is how I imagined the aliens would come to Earth when I was a kid (sploid.gizmodo.com)
- Morpheus Completes Nighttime Flight Test (spacefellowship.com)
- Night-flight for the Morpheus Lander is Gorgeous (space.io9.com)
- Hazard Detection During the Morpheus Test Flight (space.io9.com)
- ALHAT Ensures Safe Landing for Morpheus (spacefellowship.com)
- ALHAT ensures safe landing for Morpheus (sciencedaily.com)
- Morpheus makes first night landing (gizmag.com)